Thursday 13 May 2010

First attempts of surfing


Of course, the first place, which comes to your mind, if you are thinking about surfing in Sydney, is Bondi Beach, but the birthplace of Australia’s surfing is Manly. Even the New York Times mentioned Manly Surf School as one of the top ten spots in Sydney. Therefore I took my first surf lesson in Manly and by the end I manage to stand up a few times. It is not as easy as it looks like and like most things in live it is better to start early or you have to work hard.

After a few lessons at Manly I was excited about trying to surf at a place called Surfers Paradise (located at Gold Coast). So as my friends and I arrived there we immediately went to the surf school of the former surf champion Cheyne Horan. In the lesson we did really good and so we decided a few days later (at Byron Bay) to rent boards and go by our self. It was not that bad, but I figured out why beginners better use long boards. I had a 7 feet board and it was much harder to stand up, so nosediving was mostly the result. Back on Surfer’s I rented a long board and tried it again but these times weather conditions were pretty strong and so I was blown off the board a lot of times. However finally I catched some waves and this was enough to keep the passion.

See you soon

1 comment:

  1. Looks great your picture on the board, you are talented ;-)
    btw. I took my first surf-"lessons" this summer too at a spot in Norderney (Northsea), learning by doing. It was great and now I dont want to do any other holiday than surf-holidays :-) Geiler Sport alta!!!
    Grüße aus Deutschland.

    ReplyDelete